Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Self-Tanner Tips



So, you've purchased self tanner...Now what?



Keys to Success:
  • Exfoliate.  Duh.
  • Apply to body at night before you go to bed. (I do this only up to my neck.  I do not use regular self-tanner on my face because I break out and my face wash strips the color off in the morning anyway.  Annoying.)
  • Apply it using a latex glove.  I use this trick for every type of self tanner I've used.  Don't use an actual self-tanning glove/mitten because it absorbs so much product - what a waste!  Plus, then you have to spend time washing the glove later.  Let's be smart, girls.  I start with the right glove on and first apply tanner to the left hand/arm, this way I can avoid my palms and only put it on the back of my hand.  Then I put the other glove on and apply tanner to the rest of my body.  Lastly, I take off the right glove, and use my left glove to apply tanner to the back of my right hand.  Done!  (Oh, and don't forget your wrists - rookie mistake.)
  • Shower it off when you wake up the next morning (try at least 8 hours after application).  The excess color will rinse off - do not be alarmed.
  • IMPORTANT - Once you get out of the shower, apply an oil (like Neutrogena Light Sesame Formula Body Oil).  Do this daily after you get out of the shower when your skin is still damp.  It has not stained my clothes.  It has not caused a breakout.  And it has kept this mousse tan lasting for 4 whole days with almost no flaking (sometimes maybe 5 if I do 2 coats) - which is awesome because now I won't look like I have a skin defect.
  • Apply face self-tanner in the morning after moisturizing.  I like to wait 5-10 mins after face tanner before putting on my primer/makeup.  I use this time to get dressed, pack a lunch, or feed the cat, and then return to do my makeup.  I'm not entirely sure that applying my primer/makeup right after would even affect it, but I do wait anyway because it just seems smart and I just feel like a it could dilute the tanner and I wouldn't get as dark, yanno?
I know this seems like a lot, but it really just seems like that because I like to blab.  Good luck and let me know if this works for you!

Also, be sure to check out my favorite self-tanner products!

No comments:

Post a Comment