Sunday, July 13, 2014

RHONJ Smokey Eye

I am a shameless Bravo reality fan and, if you're being honest, so are you. Lately I've been "whoopin it up" enjoying OC Housewives, but nothing beats the ladies of New Jersey. Maybe it's because I'm Italian, or maybe it's because I'm genuinely concerned about the Giudice's legal issues. Either way, I need to keep up.

Since the season premiere is tonight, one thing I feel needs to be addressed is the makeup on the lovely Melissa Gorga. Her smokey eye last season was out of control. And while I don't think it's something she should've worn grocery shopping or while hanging out in her sweats, there's something to be said about how great she looked. Do you, girl. Who am I to judge? She owned it. And I absolutely can't wait to see how she rocks it this season.

In honor of the new season premier, here's my version of Melissa's smokey eye. I debated a glitter eyeshadow to replicate her reunion look...but we all know how much drama that stirs up. Best not go there...



1.  Prep your eye with an eye primer like Benefit Stay Don't Stray
2.  Take an eyeshadow brush, or even your finger, and press a dark brown, like MAC Embark on to the lid without going in the crease.  (The brush I used was Bobbi Brown's Eye Shadow brush.)
3.  Use a blending brush (like MAC 217 or Sigma E25) to blend the edges of the dark brown shadow using windshield wiper motions.
4.  Take the same blending brush and dip it into MAC Brown Script (don't be scared of this color - it's beautiful) and blend it into the crease.
5.  Do the same with MAC Texture, going over Brown Script in the crease to soften the look.  Keep blending until you have no harsh lines - very important!
6.  Take a pencil brush, like MAC 219 and use it to apply Texture by running the brush back and forth along your lower lash line.  Don't be afraid to do this for a while - the longer you keep at it the more airbrushed it will look.
7.  Repeat step 6 with Embark.
8.  Line your upper and lower water lines with black liner (I used Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner.)
9.  Create a thin, conservative line with the same liner on your upper lash line, stay very close to your lashes.
10.  Take a thin smudge brush, like Bobbi Brown's Smokey Eye Liner Brush, and use it to apply black shadow, like MAC Carbon, over the line you just applied in step 9.  Then smudge this up - about 1/4 of the way up your lid.  This will create a gradient affect from black > dark brown >light brown and it will look super smoked out.
11.  Mascara time! Pile it on (in black!) to your upper and lower lashes.  I used Eyeko Black Magic Mascara.



No comments:

Post a Comment