Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Dirty Girl Braid


Hello, lovelies! It's Tuesday. Haven't washed my hair since...Oh, I don't know, Saturday? If you haven't yet checked out Always late, never "oily" part 2: Hair, then you must! In addition to dry shampoo, one great way to hide it (especially if you've just started training your hair not to need so many washes) is to braid the front! Such a simple way to look like you tried really hard...but you didn't. You're just hiding the grease because you were lazy...but maybe don't tell people that, yanno?


I start out by parting my hair to the side, and then create a section from this side part about 2 inches deep from my hairline. Then comes the braid. I prefer a dutch braid, which is an inside out french braid, only because my hair is so dark that a small french braid doesn't show as well. To be honest...I had no idea what it was called until a 5th grader told me she liked my dutch braid. Truth.

Say whaaat?
For a french braid, you would cross the side pieces over the center piece. For a dutch braid, cross the side pieces under the center piece.  This will make the braid pop up. Am I making sense? Should a step-by-step photo tutorial follow? I promise you I can achieve this in 3 mins or less. In fact, I spend more time creating my initial part than I do actually braiding it. I've done this at a red light...in line at the Starbucks drive-through...at work...when my boyfriend thinks I'm listening to him...

Yeah right, dude.
If you strongly feel that you are french/dutch braid incapable (which I don't believe!) then just do a normal small braid on the side, parted like you normally would.  I even like a simple small twist pinned back, although braids hide oil the best.

And, because who doesn't like options...
Another thing I did to deal with my dirty hair while learning to go without washing was curling it. For some reason, when my hair is curled I don't mind going more days without shampoo/conditioner because it still looks styled. I'm all about saving time and energy. If you can style your hair once or twice a week - do it. It will look its best this way. I also found that I'm more willing to style it curly, wavy, or blow it out like I'm at a salon, because I don't have to touch it the other 5 days out of the week. Boring straight hair? Buh. Bye.

What do you do when you should have washed your hair...like, yesterday?

Side Note:  I'm still figuring out this selfie thing guys...it's a painful process. Thanks for bearing with me.

1 comment:

  1. My dry shampoo is supposed to come in the mail today! I'm pretty excited, since it was $28 on amazon.

    With my lighter, finer hair, I actually feel like twisting my hair and pinning it back looks best, since a braid tends to look like I've shellacked my hair to fit in that braid. I look forward ot many bad and twisted hair days in the future because of my Jenna-approved hair training regimen!

    ReplyDelete